THE OREGON HEALTH AUTHORITY
invites applications for the position of:
Principal Executive/Manager G (Communications Manager)
JOB CODE: OHA15-0487
CLOSING DATE/TIME: 11/17/15 11:59 PM
SALARY: $6,998.00 – $10,306.00 Monthly
JOB TYPE: Permanent
LOCATION: Salem, Oregon
The Oregon Health Authority (OHA) is a state agency dedicated to helping people and communities achieve optimum physical, mental and social well-being through partnerships, prevention and access to quality, affordable health care. We are absolutely committed to ongoing innovation in the delivery of services, and to recruiting, developing and retaining dedicated employees.
OHA includes most of the state’s health care programs, including Public Health, Health Policy and Analytics, Health Systems Division, and the Oregon State Hospital. Incorporating the state’s health care programs within one agency gives the state greater purchasing and marketing power to begin tackling the issues of cost, quality, and access to care.
This employment opportunity is with the External Relations Office, which is part of the Oregon Health Authority (OHA). There is one full-time, permanent position located in Salem (500 Summer Street NE). This position is management service and is not represented by a union.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Communication Manager is responsible for directing and managing activities of the communications unit, including but not limited to: media relations, public information and community relations including outreach and communication to clients, providers, employees, stakeholders, policy makers, media and the general public.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for establishing, directing and implementing guidelines for media relations, public record responses, OHA website, social media, videos, publications and other communication channels.
- Formulate, develop, manage and collaborate with the agency’s statewide communications strategy in partnership with Division leaders and Government Relations Manager.
- Create and implement a statewide communication that engages, involves, educates and informs citizens, key partners, state and federal agencies, local governments, elected officials and opinion leaders as partners.
- Partners with the Government Relations Manager in helping to communicate the effects of local legislation and final, approved legislation to the news media, external audiences and employees.
- Responsible to the creation of the agency’s strategic communications for both biennial and interim budget by determining communication and public affairs priorities and making recommendations to the External Relations Director for approval as required.
- Supervises and directs the work of communications staff, responsible for managing staff resources and assigning communication staff to support each division leader with resources to carry out the strategic goals and objectives of the assigned division.
- Responsible for the hiring, assigning work, approving work, and completing performance evaluations and disciplining as necessary.
- Creates and maintains a collaborative work environment that is respectful and accepting of diversity. Sets clear guidelines and models for expected office professional behaviors
- Determines high level communication strategies and sets section goals and priorities for communications.
- Provides direction and expectations to program areas for desired/required outcomes as well as accountable for performance measures and/or metrics as determined.
No less than: Six years management experience in a public or private organization which included responsibility for each of the following:
a) development of program rules and policies
b) development of long- and short-range goals and plans
c) program evaluation, and
d) budget preparation
- Experience in media relations, outreach and communication to clients, state and federal agencies, local government, elected officials, media, stakeholders, employees and the general public
- Must have experience in developing and distributing materials to convey agency policies or position on issues
- Experience in developing press releases, presentations, email announcements/internal communications and distribution thereof
- Experience in developing strategies and execute programs to deliver communications objectives throughout the agency
- Must have experience promoting and maintaining relationships with media officials and building/sustaining social and online communities
- Skills in developing consistent communication strategy to reflect the agency’s strategic vision in written form and through online resources
- Skills in disseminating accurate information, statistics or materials to deliver timely communication
- Skills in advanced writing and editing and to be able to present ideas with clarity and vision.
- Experience leading a team, empowering with appropriate parameters, and coaching critical thinking
- Experience dealing with complex, sensitive and confidential issues
- Experience in health equity, addressing systemic health disparities and collaborating with diverse, vulnerable and underrepresented populations.
Please visit www.oregonjobs.org to complete the online application for position number OHA15-0487
Paste the following link into your web browser:
Check the links below for additional opportunities.
Email job announcements to the webmaster. Please be sure to indicate the application deadline/close date.